Monday, June 19, 2006

Roads

Roads get us to our destinations, and also provide a way back home. At every art show we've exhibited our work, people come up and ask "Where is that road?" I can see their eyes imagining a place they've been, perhaps many times before, reliving some history in their mind I can only guess at. One woman told me a road I had on a presentation print looked like a road she remembers as a child, driving across the country. Another young girl told her mother the same road was the one to Grandma's, "because it goes on forever," she said, rolling her eyes. I tell them where the road is at, and invariably they shake their head, knowing it's not the same one, but I like the fact that, for a brief moment, my photography can take people back to a different time or place, their past coming alive again.

No comments: