Saturday, August 23, 2008

Resting

_MG_8377

Rest time for me is over. I'm back at school, and it feels like there never was a summer. It's so weird when I get back in the classroom, with a new set of students, and I'm in front of them talking to them about photography, journalism, and all kinds of other things... and it feels like I never left for two and a half months.

Teaching is so insane. These students come at you from completely different worlds - but if you're honest, and you're fair, and you're yourself - they will buy in and do the right thing... and you just might be able to make a difference in their lives.

This year I hope to take some time out for myself here and there, and to get out there and produce some art. I realize I have to take care of myself before I'm any good to these students. That means I have to force myself to grab a camera, get out in the world, and just enjoy the beauty that's everywhere. It means I have to take some time for myself and for my wife - because I'm a much better teacher when I'm rested and ready for the chaos of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!