Friday, October 20, 2006

The Mets

The Mets lost last night, and anytime a team from New York or New Jersey loses, I think of my wife's family - and specifically Ira, whom I call "Pops." He's a sports nut - so much so that when we visited a few months ago, he was watching a replay of the Jets game he had already seen. A pre-season Jets game.

But, unlike some people I know, there's a lot more to him than sports. He's politically adept, can talk to anyone, at any time, about anything, and he's one of the nicest and most sincere people I've ever met. He tears up watching romantic movies and sometimes says the most outrageous things possible. He's his own guy, and although not everyone around him agrees with him, they all can't help but love him.

We cooked him spaghetti the other night, and here he is, telling us a story at the dinner table.

Simply put, he's a special guy, and 'aint nobody better.

No comments: