Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring Break

When I told my friend Jeremy that I was going to go on a trip with Zach across Nebraska for a few days, he immediately told me that we could probably stay with his grandma and grandpa, Ivan and Oretta in Burton, NE (a town of nine people). After calling them up and confirming, the plans were set.

We arrived around 4:00 p.m. on a rainy day - with a blanket white sky and some good downpour... not the best conditions for the type of photos we wanted to take, so we were a bit down about our photo trip.

























Ivan and Oretta changed all that. They were wonderful people who allowed two strangers to stay on their land for the night, and treated us like family. We were allowed to follow them on their nightly round of cattle feeding, and had just a glimmer - a small glimpse - of their daily lives. They talked to us all night, fed us an incredible dinner, and made us feel at home.

























I'm not sure why, but I never got a real "sit-down" portrait of them. I think that I was so out of my own realm that I didn't think to get the simplest of photos... but I'm not too worried - I now have a mission of returning and getting that portrait.

I can't thank them enough for their hospitality, and I can't wait to return for another photo.

No comments: