Sunday, August 19, 2007

Time


It doesn't seem like it's possible, but next week begins my sixth year of teaching high school. It's a completely unreal feeling, thinking that I've been doing this for five years.


It's cliche' to say "it seems like yesterday," - but it does.

My first year is such a blur to me. I remember coming to school from my apartment, trying to just survive the day. I remember spending hours and hours preparing, lesson planning, and just THINKING about what I was going to do the next day. Of course, I could never predict what was to happen, so I always felt like I could have done more.

It's so different now. While teaching still takes a considerable amount of time, the time spent is just so much more fun than ever before.

I've learned to give the power to the students. They can handle it if you teach them how.
I've learned to say no. Often. Repeatedly. Without argument. It makes saying "yes" so much more meaningful.
I've learned that you absolutely can have fun in class while challenging the students.

I've learned that, even in the chaotic mess of the school day, and in this wild world we live in - I absolutely can make a difference.

I can't wait for this year, this adventure, to begin.



No comments: