Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hope

Every animal I've ever had in my life has been special.

Every one.

So it shouldn't be shocking to say that this one has a special spot in my heart.

I've written about her before, so you might know the story. The short version: she was found, being kicked around by stupid kids at the school I teach for, in the middle of winter. She was a kitten. She was cold. I took her in.

Now she's a part our life. My wife and I are constantly amused and amazed by her tender, playful soul, and we wouldn't know what to do without her. She belongs here as much as we do. Like the other two cats in our home - this is her home. We're just paying the bills.

Every time I look at her - every time I play with her and watch her jump through the air gracefully, I think of what could have happened to her if I hadn't taken her in.

Who knows? I don't want to even think about it.

She has brought us so much love and warmth, that I can honestly say bringing her home was one of the best things I've ever done in my life... and at the time it was such an honest decision - simply to follow my heart.

Hope, even for small, cold and afraid little animals exists. That makes me smile.

No comments: