Sunday, November 06, 2005

Looking

I used to freak out with many of my pictures - looking at them closely in Photoshop - checking for hints of noise or defects. I don't do that anymore.



I went through hell for months with my Canon 10D, thinking I had focus problems... and almost went through the same hell with the 20D when I thought I had excessive "vertical banding" in my high ISO photos. Many hours were wasted that could have been productive.

My wife and I do portraits, weddings, and other artistic adventures. We did two portrait sessions today, and I used the new Olympus cameras here and there to give them a workout. While I could probably zoom in and dissect every aspect of the photos and find some flaws (for instance, there is a bit more noise at low ISOs than my 20D) - I'm not going to waste my time doing that anymore. The photos look great - and, more than anything, while I used the Olympus cameras today I reached a bit of a "zone" - where I didn't worry about all the technical stuff, and I just shot freely, capturing the moments as they happened.



The new cameras reminded me how fun photography can be, if only we let it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i loved looking through all of these beautiful pictures. it's so much more fun than working! i thought what you said about the cameras and photos was interesting because i just gave ryan his b-day present (olympus stylus digital camera) on friday. i still worry, did i pick the right one? will it be good enough? i guess i shouldn't worry so much about it.

thanks.